Call us now ! Send us an email Airport Rd Sumter United States

Back to Top

South Carolina Metals Law

Disclaimer: Mid-Carolina Steel & Recycling is providing the following summary regarding South Carolina Metal Laws for information and convenience purposes only. These laws are subject to change, and you should refer to Section 16 of the SC State Statutes for the complete law. Mid-Carolina Steel & Recycling makes no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the contents of this law, and expressly disclaims liability for errors and omissions in the contents of this summary. No warranty of any kind – implied, expressed or statutory – is given with respect to the contents of this information.
aluminum for recycling

Nonferrous Material/Vehicles

The state of South Carolina has specific laws governing the sale of nonferrous materials and vehicles. To recycle any nonferrous material or a vehicle, you must have one of the following: 1) valid driver’s license from any state, 2) military ID or 3) South Carolina ID issued by the DMV.
In addition:

Nonferrous Permits

You must have a permit to transport and sell nonferrous metals. Nonferrous includes, but is not limited to:
  • Copper
  • Aluminum (other than cans)
  • Brass
  • Stainless steel
  • Batteries
  • Lead
A nonferrous permit is issued by the sheriff’s department of the county in which you reside. Nonresidents may obtain a permit from any South Carolina county sheriff’s department. New South Carolina law (June 2014) prohibits the sale of aluminum/copper radiators or aluminum radiators:
  • From HVAC units
  • From the public without a bill of sale from a licensed contractor
Coils from window units (if intact) and automobiles are accepted. Exemptions:
  • Licensed contractors: gas, electric, communications and water companies; plumbing, electrical and mechanical-climate conditioning services
  • Business or retail license holder
  • Organizations, corporations or associations who have registered with the state as charitable organizations or any nonprofit corporation
junked cars

Vehicle Recycling Law

Vehicle 12 Years or Newer
You must have one of the following (in your name or assigned to you):
  • Title
  • Magistrate’s order of sale
  • Sheriff’s certificate
Vehicle Older Than 12 Years
You must have one of the following (in your name or assigned to you):
  • Title
  • Magistrate’s order of sale
  • Sheriff’s certificate
  • Affidavit of disposal from SCDMV (available from Mid-Carolina’s office)
All vehicles must have a legible VIN attached to the vehicle. If you have any questions, contact SCDMV at or the DMV call center at 803-896-5000.

For More Information

This is a summary of the metals law for general information. Refer to Section 16 of SC State Statutes for the complete law.